Lilies: Pretty Poison

 


Lilies: Pretty Poison




With Easter just around the corner, it’s hard not to take advantage of the lilies that are well in stock, and decorate our homes with every color of this beautiful flower. What most people do not realize, however, is that lilies are very dangerous to cats, and may even cause death when consumed.


While cats are known for their intelligence, unfortunately, when it comes to eating, curiosity triumphs over being safe and smart. If a cat is found chewing on any part of a lily, it is immediate cause for concern, with key symptoms being vomiting, depression, and kidney failure. Vomiting occurs within approximately an hour of eating any part of the lily plant. Depression is the next stage, occurring over a period of twelve hours. Around two to four days later, an untreated cat may show signs of kidney failure. You can identify kidney problems when your cat begins urinating more frequently, is dehydrated and depressed, has no appetite, and has an upset stomach. Your cat’s body cannot survive without its kidneys, and this will ultimately result in death. If you suspect your cat may have been eating or chewing on any part of a lily plant, see a veterinarian immediately. Chances for recovery diminish with every passing second, but chances for recovery are greater if caught within six hours of consumption.


If you have a cat, please think twice before bringing these beautiful but deadly flowers into your home.

Posted by Grino on April 2, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

News Search




 
RSS   Facebook Twitter