Motza Beats the Odds


Here is a wonderful rescue story that was a team effort from one of our VOKRA foster parents, her determination to help her foster, the lovely staff at Coquitlam Animal Hospital and the ever
so talented, Julie Anne Lee, DCH, RCSHom.

From the foster:

Motzah was rescued in Surrey on September 17th with several other kittens (I believe there were 8 in all). I took both him and a litter mate that unfortunately did not make it. They were guesstimated to be about 3 weeks old at the time.

One week after the kittens were rescued, Motzah's belly was clearly filling up with fluid. We took him to a vet that took fluid out of his tummy and decided that it was likely FIP that he had and suggested that we put him down. After talking to Karen and my friend that was helping me with him, we decided that he appeared to not be in any discomfort and was too vibrant to put him down. We knew if it was FIP that he may not live long, but until he was in distress, we would continue to give him loving care.

By Thanksgiving, his belly was so big that he was having difficulty walking and I knew then that I needed to take him in to see if it was time. He still did not seem to be in distress other than the fact that mobility was becoming an issue. Karen Duncan suggested that I take him to see Julie Anne Lee at Coquitlam Animal Hospital. Julie Anne Lee is a renowned Homeopathic & Functional Medicine Practitioner and she has worked many miracles with VOKRA kittens.

When taken to the hospital, Motzah (nicknamed Little Buddha) was looked at by Dr. Nenad Paunovic. Dr. Paunovic decided that it would be best if some tests were done to determine what might be going on with the little guy. He first decided on taking blood tests before and after eating. This test confirmed that it was unlikely that we were dealing with FIP, and instead, a liver disease. Next to confirm this theory, he took fluid from the belly and tested it. At the same time, he was able to drain some of the fluid to give Motzah a little more mobility.

The tests confirmed what Dr. Paunovic had suspected. We now needed to determine how bad it was and if there was a chance that surgery may be needed. After the ultra sound, Motzah was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver (the ultra sound showed his liver so large and damaged that it looked like he had been drinking for years - he was about 8 weeks old).

Besides having the fluid in his belly drained 4 times, Julie provide us with several holistic remedies to try in order to get his liver working again. With the effort of all involved, Motzah went for a whole month without the fluid coming back.

He is now growing and able to do things that a kitten his age should be doing. He still has difficulty jumping up onto high surfaces, but has learned how to get around most of his challenges. He has been a real trooper. He is not completely out of the woods and we really don't know the long term prognosis, but for now, he is a very loving and special animal.

Without the Coquitlam Animal Hospital, it is hard to know what would have happened to this little guy. The care that he was given after another vet was willing to put him down is absolutely nothing short of miraculous.

I am thankful that the team at Coquitlam Animal Hospital were not so willing to give up on him. To have a holistic practitioner like Julie to work on animals who otherwise have limited options is amazing. He will likely always have special needs, but will provide any good home a wonderful friend in return for his care. Now we will just have to find him a good forever home with someone that has some extra love to give. Photo is Motza (dubbed Little Buddha) with Forrest the hospital house cat."

Posted by Grino on December 17, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

News Search

RSS   Facebook Twitter