Motza Needs Your Help!



Here is Motza in his furever home. He has found a very special home with a Guardian that will take good care of him andhis special needs. VOKRA still needs your financial support for all our special need rescues!

Earlier, we wrote about Motza and how through the dedication of a very loving Foster who bottle fed Motza and did not give up on him, he was given a second chance at life.

Motza is in long term foster care and will continues to need special veterinarian care his whole life. VOKRA is a no-kill, non-profit registered charity. Because of this, Motza has had a second chance at life when other vets suggested we euthanize him.

VOKRA and Motza need your help - in prayers and donations.

help us pay for Motza's continued health care costs by donating here.

Read more about Motza below and please share his story with everyone you know! Every little bit helps!

Motza’s Story
By Colleen Fitzpatrick-Killorn

Motza was rescued in Surrey on September 17th with several other kittens (I believe there were 8 in all). I took both him and a littermate that was very sick and unfortunately the littermate passed away 3 days later. The kittens were guesstimated to be about 3 weeks old at the time of rescue. By the end of the first week, I noticed that Motza's belly was filling up with fluid. The first visit to the vet, fluid was taken out of his tummy and the vet decided that it was likely FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis, a usually fatal, incurable disease that affects cats) and suggested that we put him down.

Looking into Motza’s eyes, it was clear that he was too vibrant and appeared to not be in any discomfort, so the decision was made to see how he did over the next couple of days. We knew if it was FIP that he may not live long, but until he was in distress, we would continue to give him loving care.

By Thanksgiving, his belly was so big that he was having difficulty walking.

Although he still not seem to be in any pain, I knew then that we needed to determine if it was time to let him go even thought he still did not seem to be in distress other than the fact that mobility was becoming an issue. Karen Duncan suggested that I take him to see Julie Anne Lee at Coquitlam Animal Hospital. Julie Anne Lee is a renowned Homeopathic & Functional Medicine Practitioner and she has worked many miracles with VOKRA kittens.

When taken to the hospital, Motza (nicknamed Little Buddha) was looked at by Dr. Nena Paunovic. Dr. Paunovic decided that it would be best if some tests were done to determine what might be going on with the little guy. The first test was taking blood tests before and after eating.

This test confirmed that it was unlikely that we were dealing with FIP, and instead, most likely a liver disease. Next to confirm this theory, Dr. Paunovic took fluid from the belly and tested it. At the same time, they were able to drain some of the fluid from the belly to give Motza a little more mobility. The tests confirmed what Dr. Paunovic had suspected, a liver disease. The next test (an ultrasound) was to determine how bad it was and if there was a chance that surgery may help. After the ultrasound, Motza was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver (the ultrasound showed his liver was so large and damaged that it looked like he had been drinking for years - he was about 8 weeks old). Besides having the fluid in his belly drained 4 times over the next two months, Julie prescribed several holistic remedies to try in order to get Motza’s liver working again (he would have a chance if the liver could function at least at 20%). With the efforts of all involved, Motza went for a whole month without the fluid coming back. We were so excited to see him doing things that a kitten his age should be doing except that he did not appear to have the strength in his hind legs to allow him to jump up onto high surfaces. By mid-January, he seemed to be doing quite well. He had his tummy drained one final time to get the remaining fluid out.

A week later, it was clear that Motza was going down hill again, and this time quite rapidly.

Julie prescribed some new homeopathic remedies and we kept trying different things to get him back to health.

By mid-February, without warning, Motza could no longer hold his body weight up. When he did get himself up, he would walk gingerly and often when being put down from being held, he would collapse to the floor. His eyes were still bright, so it was felt that if we could have him be comfortable, that we would let nature take its course. I treated the situation like a hospice one, where I was prepared for him to die at home, rather than at a vet’s office if at all possible.

Knowing that his life was limited, I decided to alter the fresh chicken only diet. I began feeding him a therapeutic cat food along with the chicken. Then around 2:00 am one morning, I heard Motza climbing up the little stairs that I had made for him to get onto the bed. He had not been able to climb these stairs for two months, so I was flabbergasted.

The next morning, I encouraged him to come down the stairs and then later that day, he repeated the process. It was a true miracle. Each day he has been getting stronger. He is now able to run up the stairs and although he is still not able to jump up onto high objects, he once again is able to pull himself up to certain places like the sofa.

Motza is one little miracle kitten that now is looking for a special home to call his forever. If it were not for the wonderful team at VOKRA, Julie Ann Lee and her assistant Andrea as well as the staff at Coquitlam Animal Hospital, this sweet little guy would more than have likely never survived.

Motza will always have special needs and at the same time, will always be a wonderful loving friend in return for his care.

Motza today:

Photo below is of Motza (dubbed Little Buddha) with Forrest the Coquitlam Animal Hospital house cat.

Posted by Grino on April 8, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

News Search

RSS   Facebook Twitter